- Mr. William Bissic
The goal of the Business Entrepreneurship course is to aid our student artists in defining their personal goals, understand marketing and self-promotion, and nurture financially literate entrepreneurs. This course uses project-based learning to explore the intersections between art and business. The Business Entrepreneurship course will provide, through projects and class discussions, a foundation in the principles of economics and entrepreneurship.
No upcoming assignments.
In relation to your art OR career choice, how can having an entrepreneurial mindset benefit you?
Include the following entrepreneurial characteristics:
- Tolerance of Uncertainty
- Tolerance of Failure
Business Proposals/ Vision Board Presentations
Each group will have 7-10 minutes to present ALL of the following:
- Introduction of group members
- Elevator pitch
- Mission and Vision Statements
- Vision Boards
- Distribute questionnaires
NOTE: Every group member must speak. Presentations MUST be no shorter than 7 minutes, and no longer than 10.
Bring in supplies for our Vision Board workshop. These items should relay vision, mood, goals, intentions, values, style, & affirmations.
- What are your material costs?
- How much of each supply would you need?
- How much time will it take to create each unit (product) that you will be selling?
- How many units do you plan to make?
- How much will you sell each unit for?
- What would the profit be for each unit sold?
- How many units would you need to sell to break even?
- List 3 competitors and their pricing for similar products.
Change Google doc title from "CompanyName.TargetMarket" to "CompanyName.TM.Cost"
Within your Business of Your groups, answer the following questions about the customers buying your product:
- What demographic groups (age, gender, location, income, education, etc.)?
- How do they think (personality, attitudes, values, interests, hobbies, lifestyle, behaviors, etc.)?
- What needs, challenges, or frustrations do they have?
- How does your idea, service, or product help your target market?
- What media do they currently use (magazines, TV, social media, etc.)?
- Who is your competition? List at least 4 competitors
- How is your product better/different?
Create a Google Doc labeled CompanyName.TargetMarket and share it with me (email@example.com). See attached example of Google Doc layout.
- FIND and SAVE a sample Resume from someone within your field of study
- RENAME it as "firstname.lastname.sampleresume" (example william.bissic.sampleresume)
- UPLOAD that file in the folder below that corresponds with the block that you are in
- FIND a portfolio online from an artist within your field of study
- COPY link to portfolio
- CLICK link below and FILL out table (there is a tab at bottom of spreadsheet for each block)
NOTE: There is an attached screenshot for a visual representation of how to fill out table.
Entrepreneur/ Startup Article Response
- Read/ listen to an article or podcast about an entrepreneur or startup
- Write a one-page response
- What was the good/ service sold?
- How was the entrepreneur innovative?
- What were the opportunities and threats?
- What skill, tip, and/ or insight could you take away from this entrepreneurial endeavor adn apply to your own career?
- Mixergy podcast (free on app store)
Create a Google Doc titled "firstname.lastname.careerresearch" and research your dream profession. Please include:
- Job title
- Education requirements
- Required/ recommended experience
- Job description/ duties
- Salary (average or range)
Create a Google Doc titled "firstname.lastname.myvision." Write a narrative describing what your future life looks like. 1 page minimum. Use the following info:
- Career Research doc
- Professional Core Values
- Personal Core Values
- Sample vision (pages 18-19 in business book, also attached)
Watch this TedTalk on The Surprising Habits of Original Thinkers.
- Write 3/4 page response to the video
- What was the speaker's argument?
- Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- List 5 "Aha moments."
- What were some interesting ideas that Adam shared?
- What was said that was surprising/ eye opening?
Exercises 3 & 4 from
Business of Art: An Artist’s Guide to Profitable Self-Employment
Exercises 1 & 2 from Business of Art: An Artist’s Guide to Profitable Self-Employment
- Please read syllabus with parents/guardians.
- Print and sign names on first page (parents/guardians and student)
- Detach first page and return to Mr. Bissic.